Music Notation Software I
Graduate Assistant: Sam Torres
Course Syllabus: here
- Finale Basics
- creating a single line solo
- four part scores (string quartet)
- piano scoring
- vocal scoring
- MIDI files
- scoring contemporary music
- orchestra scoring
- part extraction
- Final project
Assignment 1, January 24, 2017
- Reading: Read pp pp 1-24
- Score a single melodic line for any instrument you choose. Be sure to include dynamics, slurs, and expression marks. It should be at least 25 bars long.
Assignment 2, January 31, 2017
- Reading: Read, Gardner: Music Notation pp 27-42; pp 53-62; Chapter 23.
- Transcribe the exposition of the string quartet example handed out in class.
Assignment 3, February 7, 2017
- Read, Gardner: Music Notation Chapter 17.
- Finale Manual Chapter 32: The Lyric Tool
- Transcribe the art song with piano accompaniment into Finale. Use the lyric tool to incorporate the lyrics.
- Assignment 4, February 14, 2017
- Transcribe the 4-part choral piece excerpt into Finale. Use the lyric tool to incorporate the lyrics. Make sure to carefully notate the cross staff beams.
Assignment 5 February 28, 2017:
- Read, Gardner: Music Notation Chapter 18.
- Transcribe the exposition of a 4-part Bach fugue from the WTC. Try to be as faithful to the original scoring as possible.
- Assignment 6 March 28, 2017:
- Search the Internet for MIDI files. Download one of your choice. Import the file into Finale and "clean it up." Print it out and bring to class.
- Assignment 7 April 4, 2017:
- Review some scores of experimental music in the library. Create your own score using some modern conventions such as feathered beams, stemless noteheads, alternative noteheads, boxes, etc. Design at least one custom shape with the Shape Designer. Import at least one external graphic image.
Assignment 8 April 11, 2017
- Transribe the two pages of wind ensemble sore into Finale. Be careful about the percussion staves and the repeats.
Assignment 9 April 18, 2017:
- Transcribe the first two pages of the 18th-century score handed out in class. Optimize staves before printing.
Assignment 10 April 25, 2017:
- Final Project: Transcribe five pages of a "tutti" section of a composition for large orchestra. It may be any
piece you choose, as long as it contains woodwinds in 3's, a full brass section, percussion and strings. It has to have been composed after 1875. Extract 1 string part, one woodwind part and one brass part.