Digital Music Programming
Course Syllabus: here
- What is interactive music?
MIDI Hardware and setup
The MIDI language
Max, part 1
- Midterm Review: October 18, 2016
Midterm exam: October 20, 2016
Max part 2 Max and MSP
Max part 3: Max and multimedia: Jitter
Max part 4: Advanced projects
Assignment 2: September 12, 2016:
Assignment 3: September 13, 2016:
Assignment 1: September 6, 2016:
- Send the instructor an email requesting placement on the ccm mailing list
Assignment 4: September 20, 2016:
- Read the MIDI Specification, here and here.
- Read "Overview" in the Max: Getting Started manual
- Complete the first 10 Max Tutorials
- Build a MIDI monitor patch thhat displays all channel voice messages.
Assignment 6: October 10, 2016:
- Complete Max Tutorials 11-20.
- Create a Random Music Generator that modifies its own behavior over time. Try to make it as "musical" as possible.
Assignment 7: November 3, 2016:
- Complete MSP Tutorials 1-10.
- Write an MSP patch that can both
- 1) play back multiple soundfiles, either from a menu or a coll. It can choose randomly, sequentially, or by any method you choose.
- 2) Record and play back sounds from buffers.
Assignment 8: November 10, 2016:
- Complete MSP Tutorials 11-20
- Create an MSP patch that allows the user process an input signal in at least 3 different ways. Make switching or crossfading between them easy and automated
Assignment 9: December 6, 2015:
Build a polyphonic synthesizer that allows for easy modification of the timbre.
- Do the first 8 jitter tutorials.
- Create a simple Jitter patch in which visual images are modified by audio or MIDI input.