Music Notation Software I
Graduate Assistant: Sam Torres
Course Syllabus: here
- Finale Basics
- creating a single line solo
- four part scores (string quartet)
- piano scoring
- vocal scoring
- MIDI files
- scoring contemporary music
- orchestra scoring
- part extraction
- Final project
Assignment 1, January 24, 2017
- Reading: Read pp pp 1-24
- Score a single melodic line for any instrument you choose. Be sure to include dynamics, slurs, and expression marks. It should be at least 25 bars long.
Assignment 2, January 31, 2017
- Reading: Read, Gardner: Music Notation pp 27-42; pp 53-62; Chapter 23.
- Transcribe the exposition of the string quartet example handed out in class.
Assignment 3, February 7, 2017
- Read, Gardner: Music Notation Chapter 17.
- Finale Manual Chapter 32: The Lyric Tool
- Transcribe the art song with piano accompaniment into Finale. Use the lyric tool to incorporate the lyrics.
- Assignment 4, February 14, 2017
- Transcribe the 4-part choral piece excerpt into Finale. Use the lyric tool to incorporate the lyrics. Make sure to carefully notate the cross staff beams.
Assignment 5 February 28, 2017:
- Read, Gardner: Music Notation Chapter 18.
- Transcribe the exposition of a 4-part Bach fugue from the WTC. Try to be as faithful to the original scoring as possible.